06 August 2009

Turquoise Invasion!

Recently I got back from a trip to visit my Opa up in Lake Tahoe. While up there we drove out to visit a cemetery filled with predominantly German people. I was really interested in all the names and why so many Germans would want to settle in such a desert-like place.


Well, toward the end of our cemetery excursion my we see a rock sitting by a family plot of graves. My Opa picks it up and says something along the lines of: “Hey! Look! This is turquoise!” It was not a nice little polished stone or anything but a beautiful dirty and jagged rock with turquoise caught in little niches, etc. I couldn’t wait to get home to do some research on its properties.


Oddly enough I had been thinking of turquoise before I left on my trip. Thinking about how I never really felt partial to it before but had suddenly really felt like I wanted a piece of it anyway.

The next odd thing? I went to visit my Aunt Stephanie in Reno shortly after finding the rock and while at her house she asked me if I own anything from my Papa (my grandpa) Fred’s family. I said no and told her I thought it was because there were way to many people in my family for me to have anything of the family’s.


WEEELLL….next thing I know she brings me a beaded turquoise necklace that was my Papa’s Mother’s! I felt so honored! I was also having a “WTF?” moment because all of the sudden turquoise had invaded my life!


Here is what SeriousSilver.com has to say about turquoise:

“Sacred to both Native American and Oriental traditions, this stone helps to connect with spirit and brings the energy of the sky down to earth. It is helpful in expanding awareness while still maintaining practicality. Turquoise moves the wearer toward integration and wholeness. Used on the throat chakra, turquoise promotes communication and the ability to speak honestly, clearly and from the heart, and reminds us of our connection to Earth and Sky. Ancient lore suggests that it also protects against environmental pollutants. In ancient times, turquoise was utilized to gain wealth. Wearing turquoise can speed the healing process. Lore also has it that the stone will change color when the owner is in danger.”

What do you think about the whole turquoise thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment